It’s that time of year again, sadly, that special time when we all take a week or two out of our busy lives and decided to scrub our homes clean from top to bottom. That’s right ladies and gentleman, it’s time for Spring Cleaning! But while you’re toiling away, scrubbing toilets, degreasing ovens, dusting air vents, vacuuming, mopping, cleaning windows…and all of that other fun stuff; don’t forget to clean out the one room most people completely forget…the garage! Besides, if you don’t have a clean garage how else are you going to fit that brand new Nissan inside? Here are some helpful tips on how to make this process a little bit easier.
- Give yourself a day or two, no need to rush but set s schedule so you don’t put it off.
- Make sure it’s going to be a nice day. Don’t start when it’s raining or during a 110 degree heat wave.
- Get some help. Talk your friends or kids in to helping by offering to buy pizza…everyone loves pizza!
- Categorize your stuff. As you move things out of the garage, place things in categories. Use labeled boxes (plastic works best) to keep everything grouped together and safe from the elements.
- Throw things away. Don’t be afraid to get rid of the years and years of newspapers, magazines, comic books, shoes, old clothes, and anything else you’ll never use again. Or, an even better idea is to donate them or hold a garage sale!
- Choose a layout. Once you see how much stuff you plan on putting back in your garage, choose a spot for everything.
- New shelves, storage bins, cabinets, or even simple hooks to hang items on can become your new best friend. Most are easy to install and can make the process a lot easier.
- This will be the hardest part…from now on, like every other room in your home, CLEAN AS YOU GO! Next year’s spring cleaning will be 100 times easier if you keep the garage clean or take clean it several times a year to reduce the time it takes.